SLOW COOKER CITRUS CHICKEN
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons honey (omit for whole30)
4 whole garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and quartered
1 pound bone-in chicken thighs
1 pound bone-in chicken legs
½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- In a small bowl, whisk together the orange, lemon, lime juice, and honey along with ¼ teaspoon salt. Set aside ¼ cup of the citrus mixture.
- Place the chicken thighs and legs into the base of a 6-quart slow cooker. Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt, then pour over the remaining citrus mixture. Nestle in the onion pieces and garlic cloves.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6, or until the chicken is tender and falling off the bone.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker. Place the legs and thighs onto a metal baking sheet, drizzle with 2 tablespoons citrus mixture, then broil on high 5-10 minutes or until the skin is crispy.
- Serve the remaining citrus mixture for dipping and serve the chicken immediately. Alternatively, if you prefer to skip the broiler, simply remove the skin and serve the chicken shredded off the bone with the citrus mixture on the side for dipping.
Notes: If you are sensitive to the bitter side of citrus, you can skip the lime juice, and leave the juiced pieces of citrus out of the slow cooker while cooking. Also, discard the juice remaining in the slow cooker.
INSTANT POT CHICKEN, APPLES & CABBAGE
¼ cup olive oil
1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
¾ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
4 cups thinly sliced cabbage
3 crisp, sweet apples, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
¼ cup apple cider
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Set an electric pressure cooker to saute for 10 minutes. Allow to preheat for 2 minutes, add the oil, allow to heat for a minute, then add the chicken. Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt and allow to saute until golden on one side, about 5 minutes. Flip and saute for 3 more minutes.
- Add the onion, cabbage, apples, garlic, apple cider, and ½ teaspoon salt, tossing to combine, leaving the chicken at the bottom of the pot.
- Secure the lid, select the manual setting, and set it to high pressure for 8 minutes.
- When the pressure cooker timer is done, quick release the pressure.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, stirring to combine. Taste and add additional salt if desired. Serve the chicken whole or shredded, atop the cabbage, apple, and onion mix.
Makes 4-6 servings.
Stove Top Variation: Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or pot. Proceed with steps, 1 and 2. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 25-30 minutes. Uncover, and proceed with step 5.
Crockpot Variation: Heat the olive oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Add the chicken and brown on both sides. Transfer the olive oil, chicken, cabbage, apples, garlic powder, and salt to a 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 6-8 hours, or until the chicken is cooked and cabbages is soft. Add the apple cider vinegar and serve.
Don’t skip the olive oil, it adds a richness to the sauce and some much needed healthy fat as well!
If you’re short on time, skip the saute step, and just add everything straight to the Instant Pot (minus the apple cider vinegar). I like the flavor of the chicken better when it’s sauteed first, but it’s not necessary
CROCKPOT SUNSHINE LEMON CHICKEN CHOWDER
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 cup chopped celery
1 ½ pounds baby potatoes, halved or quartered
1 small head cauliflower, separated into florets
4 cups chicken stock
1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thigh
1-2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
⅓ cup full fat coconut milk (from a can)
Chopped fresh parsley and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Add the olive oil to a medium pan over medium heat. Add the onion and ¼ teaspoon salt, cooking until soft, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, stirring until fragrant. Carefully transfer the onion mixture to a 6-quart slow cooker
- Add the celery, potatoes, cauliflower, and ¼ teaspoon salt, stirring to combine. Add the chicken stock, chicken, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt, stirring until well combined.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 6, or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the chicken, and shred or chop into bite sized pieces. Add back to the slow cooker, along with the lemon juice and coconut milk, stirring to combine.
6-INGREDIENT SLOW COOKER CHICKEN TACO CHILI
1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
1 (15-oz) can tomato sauce
2 (15-oz) cans chili beans, drained and rinsed*
1 (15-oz) jar chunky salsa, divided** 1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
½ teaspoon kosher salt
Optional toppings: sliced avocado, fresh lime juice, sour cream, chopped green onion, chopped cilantro
- Place the chicken, tomato sauce, beans, half the salsa, cumin, garlic and salt in a 6-quart slow cooker, stirring to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours, or low for 6-8, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken, shred with two forks for chop into bite sized pieces, and add back to the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining salsa, stirring to combine. Taste and add additional salt if desired. Serve with any toppings you like.
Notes: * Black beans or pinto beans will also work. **Look for a good quality, jarred salsa without any added sugar or preservatives. Use mild, medium, or hot, whatever you prefer.
Instant Pot variation: Place the chicken, tomato sauce, beans, half the salsa, cumin, garlic and salt in a 6-quart pressure cooker. Cover and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes, then quick release the pressure. Continue with steps 3 and 4.
3-INGREDIENT INSTANT POT SALSA CHICKEN STUFFED POTATOES
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup salsa, divided*
4 small Russet potatoes, scrubbed** Optional toppings: additional salsa, avocado, chopped cilantro, chopped green onion, pickled red onion, sour cream
- Add ½ cup salsa and ¾ cup water to a 6-quart electric pressure cooker, stirring to combine.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the salt, then add to the pressure cooker, submerging in the salsa-water mixture.
- Add the steamer inset , then arrange the potatoes in an even layer on top.
- Secure the lid, select the manual setting, and set it to high pressure for 15 minutes.
- When the pressure cooker timer is done, quick release the pressure, remove the lid.
- Carefully remove the steamer insert and the potatoes.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken, then stir into the cooking liquid.
- Slice each potato in half, then top with the shredded chicken, remaining salsa, and any other toppings you like.
Notes: *Look for a thick salsa, without any added sugar. I’ve found that the jarred variety works well. **Small potatoes work best for this recipe. Medium- to large-sized potatoes won’t cook all the way through. If you do end up with potatoes that aren’t cooked through, stick them back into the pressure cooker and cook on high for 5 more minutes. ***I haven’t tested this recipe in the slow cooker. If you give it a try, let us know how it goes in the comments!